9.07.2015

Version: Medieval Torture or Medical Procedure? (part one)

It was the morning of the version procedure. It was also the morning after a snow storm that dropped inches of heavy, wet, white slop across the city. The anxiety from the appointment was temporarily set aside to focus on navigating rush hour traffic in snow and malfunctioning traffic lights. The traffic allowed for no alternative. My husband would have to drop me off, then take Miss Boo to school, then return to be at my side.

They dropped my off at the hospital right on time. I waddled my way to the labor and delivery floor and checked in. The receptionist was the first to ask if I was alone. Always ready to recount a story, dive in to a detailed explanation of the adventure we had just trying to get here! "Then, we tried Harrison but it was back-up too. We ended up...blah blah blah blah blah...So, anyway, he'll be here after he takes our daughter to school." The receptionist chuckles and says, "Oh I am so glad to hear that," as she walks me to my room.

A nurse arrives directing me to place my belongings away and change into my gown. She also asks if I am alone. "Yes, you see....blah blah blah blah blah blah....so, he'll should be here soon." With a concerning look on her face, she says, "That's a good thing. Your nurse will be in shortly."

Realizing that I could have a baby today, I quickly snap a picture before changing. This could be my last bump picture! I love my look of joy and excitement. It's comical now.

After my photo shoot, I hop into bed to wait for my nurse. She arrives in a flurry of bubbly energy. You can quickly feel her passion and love for her work and patients. She introduces herself, then quickly stops. "Wait. Are you alone?" By now you get the drift, right? "Blah blah blah blah blah....so, he'll be here soon!" "Oh thank GOD. You DO NOT want to go through this alone," the nurse says.

Wait. What.

I asked what she meant. "Oh you mean if I go into labor or something?" She flashes a crooked smile, asking if I read anything about the version procedure. I tell her no, but the doctor had mentioned it would be uncomfortable. "Uncomfortable? That is one way to put it. Well, that's probably for the best you didn't read anything," the nurse said. She then asks me about my last labor and delivery (you can review this story on this blog, posts September and October 2009). "Oh, you should be fine..."

What the hell did I get myself into?



No comments:

Post a Comment